Monday, February 2, 2009

What is something about your home country that you wish all Americans knew?

When I visited my roommate grand mother’s house during the thanksgiving break, I was asked about Korean. Her grandmother asked me, “Koreans are always rude to Japanese?” I was surprised that. Even though sometimes Korea was compare to Japan in the most of aspects, it was first time to receive this question. After a few seconds, I answered “no, that is not true.” I understood why she asked me like that. She is a medial professor. She ever heard about Korean from Japanese because she have taught many international students, specially Japanese students. But it was just personal opinion not general. She never had have chance to Korean before I met. She had a stereotype about Korean. I really want to tell American. Don’t judge Korean based on personal opinion. Of course, Korean whom Japanese student tell about could be rude. But they must not to see him/her as Korean. They have to see just person. It is important that one person who has bad stereotype about the other person can make him/her annoy. When you meet Korean for the first time, don’t think them with stereotype which you heard from another person. If you think like that, it could be rude. In the case of me, I explained why her grandmother’s thought was wrong. Then she correct her thought and we could be much familiar with each other.

1 comment:

Anna said...

That is interesting. I have heard that historically Japan doesn't get along with Korea and sometimes there are harsh feelings between the countries, but I have never seen such things manifest in CESL. I'm glad about that.
It's good that you had patience with her!